The Athletics 50p was designed by Florence Jackson.
The amazing thing is that nine-year-old Florence, from Bristol, is the first child ever to design a Royal Mint UK coin.
Florence won this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in 2009 after taking part in a competition organised by Blue Peter .
The coin design competition was one of the show’s most popular ever, with Florence’s design beating more than 17,000 other entries!
We think the design is fantastic and shows that anyone can get involved in Athletics, all you need to do is give it a go. As ever, we’ll Tweet the UK team to see what they think…Florence would love to hear their reactions, as would we all!
About Team GB
Most of the Athletics events will take place in the newly built Olympic Stadium between Friday 3 August – Sunday 12 August. Over 2,000 athletes will compete for medals making athletics the LARGEST of the Olympic sports!
The British Athletics team includes a number of sporting legends! Click the links to follow them on Twitter.
- 2011 World champions Mo Farah and Dai Greene
- World record holding marathon runner Paula Radcliffe
- They compete alongside medallists Phillips Idowu, Jessica Ennis, Hannah England and Andy Turner.
- Paralympic 800m and 1500m champion David Weir is among 25 Paralympic athletes who will represent Britian in what is expected to be the biggest paralympic games ever!
- Also remember to look out for Paralympic athlete Scott Moorhouse who ranks second in the World for javelin throwing and is a strong contender for a medal!
There are lots more athletes on the team, and we’re sure many of them will be the stars of tomorrow. Make sure you are watching and supporting this Summer!
If you want to get your hands on your very own memento of London 2012, why not pick up an Athletics 50p from The Royal Mint website