On 9 September 2015, the nation will celebrate as Her Majesty The Queen officially becomes Britain’s longest reigning monarch. The Queen will beat the record set by her great-great grandmother Queen Victoria who reigned for 63 years and 216 days.
The Royal Mint has long had a close relationship with the Kings and Queens of Britain, striking the effigy of the monarch on coins for over 1,000 years. But the relationship doesn’t stop there… commemorative coins have been struck to celebrate key milestones in the life and reign of our current monarch and, with a reign of 63 years, there have been plenty of occasions to celebrate during The Queen’s reign.
The following events during The Queen’s reign have all been marked on UK coins:
- The Queen’s coronation 2 June 1953
- The Silver Wedding Anniversary of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh 20 November 1972
- The Queen’s Silver Jubilee 6 February 1977
- The 40th Anniversary of the Coronation of The Queen 2 June 1993
- The Queen’s 70th Birthday 21 April 1996
- The Golden Wedding Anniversary of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh 20 November 1997
- The Queen’s Golden Jubilee 6 February 2002
- The 50th Anniversary of the Coronation of The Queen 2 June 2003
- The Queen’s 80th Birthday 21 April 2006
- The Diamond Wedding Anniversary of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh 20 November 2007
- The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee 2 February 2012
- The 60th Anniversary of the Coronation of The Queen 2 June 2013
- The Queen becomes the longest reigning monarch 9 September 2015
And the celebrations don’t look set to stop there either. In 2016 The Queen will celebrate her 90th birthday and Buckingham Palace have confirmed that a ‘huge’ street party for some 10,000 people is set to mark the event. Then, in 2017, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will celebrate their platinum wedding anniversary. There’s also the matter of a few records still to beat. Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX) of Thailand is currently the longest-reigning living monarch and The Queen has only just entered the top 50 global list of longest reigning monarchs of all time. We are witnessing a truly remarkable reign!
Does your coin collection span the reign of our longest reigning monarch? Have you collected all of the coins above? If so, we’d love to hear from you and see photos of your collection! Share yours on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #LongestReigningMonarch.